I believe that the best way to support HHDL is to let him know that his efforts have been very fruitful :-)

So often we, as respectful admirers of HHDL, continue to look to him to solve something for us.

I think this must be turned around......

It is time for us to demonstrate, through our words and actions, how his tireless efforts have benefited us and helped others. By showing him that we listened, and learned (to the best of our respective abilities and situations), we give HHDL the best support we can give him......feedback that his efforts have already produced great fruits. With this encouraging knowledge, he will be further strengthened. Like a parent, whose children show respect and thankfulness for sacrifices made, he will know that regardless of what happens in Tibet that the WORLD is better for his presence.

When we think of wishing long life to HHDL, we must be careful not to have that be selfish thing....to keep him near to us, and making us feel better. We must always endeavor to keep these wishes "clean" for his benefit, and the benefit of all sentient beings. In this way, us "children" are respectful, thankful, appreciative, and truly supportive.

What do you think?
:-)

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Patrick,
I think you are right! I have thought about this so many times. I think it's really hard not to be selfish in wanting to keep him near us and be our guiding light! I truly cannot imagine what life would be like without him. It's hard to imagine what my life was like before I knew about him. I want nothing but happiness for him, peace for him, and to be able to return home someday. I want his dream of Tibet to come true in his lifetime, and to finally see peace with China.

He is everything to me! I look to him for guidance when I question how to handle a tough situation. I think: "What would His Holiness do? How would he handle this?" In fact, I think of that all the time. He HAS helped me, NUMEROUS times! There has been many situations where I realize at that moment I have a choice: Do I handle it this way or that way. The two choices are usually pretty cut and dry. Do for others or do for yourself. We all know what His Holiness would say! I think of that often. I also love the teaching about when two paths are in front of you, always take the hardest one. You will learn more from your suffering. That comes into my mind almost on a daily basis.

Most times when we become angry or irritated at someone we love or even in the midst of a stressful event its really a "reaction." It's a defense and most of the time (at least for me) a lack of thinking before speaking or acting! My husband and I have a famous line in our home: "What would the Dalai Lama say about that?" We tease each other with it, but we do keep ourselves in check that way!
Another example, is when my one year old (and beautifully smart!) daughter tried to stomp on a bug on the sidewalk this summer. I quickly pulled her away before she killed the bug, and tried to explain to her about not hurting bugs, animals, people extra. I believe it starts with the little things. It's truly amazing how quick she picks up on things. She helps remove critters from our home safely to the outdoors, feeds birds and talks to wildlife like they are her friends. I know these things sound minimal but really the little things in life add up! Kindness to all sentient beings starts with the little bugs on the sidewalk. :)

When my husband and I first began researching about Tibetans and Buddhism I saw a great change in him. He was kinder, softer. Little things like not screaming at other drivers on the freeway, which he used to do the point where I didn't even want to drive with him anymore! Giving people the benefit of the doubt when before, he was sure they were out to do him or someone harm. He had always been very pessimistic, negative and untrusting. His whole sense of self changed dramatically when he started reading books by the Dalai Lama and of course when we started attending the Sakya Monestary here in Seattle.

His Holiness speaks about peace and compassion on many levels. And I believe his message reaches us on many different levels and in many different areas of our life. From work, to relating to friends and family and especially within our personal relationships and parenting. I could go on and on about how my life has been changed by His Holiness. These examples are only a few. I am so thankful for him, for his words, his kindness and his incredible laugh!
His joy is contagious...and I love him for it!
Wow. Jessica (jesssyka? :-) you totally summed up what has happened in my life/marriage, etc too. Thanks for the great encapsulated example!

I have to say, when I first went to one of HHDL's teachings I was looking for something from him.....then I saw the thousands, and said to myself: "OMG, how can one guy handle all of this all the time....even if he is Dalai Lama?"

Then, came my revelation.....part of his "Dalai Lama-ness" is his upbringing by all those monks and peoples who "put in;" even though, some "put in" bad. Religious beliefs aside, it was THE best example of "nature and nurture" development that anyone could ever hope to see. Yes, many believe he is reincarnate. But still, he must be protected and nurtured too....

When a pianist plays a solo, or an orchestra a symphony, the crowd's applause "empowers" and charges them up....its a return of positive energy to thank them for their great effort expended (years of hard work and dedication to get there) to provide "uplifting" of spirit to strangers in the audience. Some let this go to their head, and it becomes an ego fest they get addicted to. But brilliantly kind and giving people, who also hone their talents, make magic happen at those performances.....and the crowd connects. To each other, to the 'message' of giving the artist is living by 'donating' a part of himself for other's benefit, and the 'hint' of the inter-connected nature of the universe. Many people confuse these things, being in a huge crowd its easy to "ride the wave' without contributing. Sometimes that inspires people, like yourself; and sometimes people just develop an unhealthy attachment to the artist and become groupies....always following; but never really getting the message, and using that as a light onto another path.

The Dalai Lama obviously doesn't need an ego fest....but, he does deserve to know that his sacrifice of sticking along to help other sentient beings is getting "heard" and propagated. Otherwise, he could become depleted and worn out. How can anyone take on the pain of billions?

So, I say this is the greatest gift we can ever give HHDL.....not more jewels, gift of things, blind subservience; but just what you said: "Thank you, YHDL; now I can see a better path due to you. I will help others, first and foremost....the best that I can under my circumstances. I will sincerely 'spread the love' of compassion and kindness, and hope for the best."

This is all anyone can do; and therefore not only help make this world a better place, but live happier/more content lives with the knowledge that we have done our best....and that is enough.

:-)
I think the Buddhist way of thanking the Dalai Lama is to see every other being, however imperfect he, she or it is as the Dalai Lama. Especially as we are about to get angry with someone we should catch ourselves and say stop he is the same as the Dalai Lama (which means he is a Dalai Lama). We have to find the Dalai Lama in us and in everybody else.

If we can do this the Dalai Lama is thanked - he gets the merit for these actions - he goes on to save everyone - its where he gets his strength.
i really do agree with what you said and i do appreciate also. thigs you written are so true and i suggest you to write some more. i think we have got so much things to learn and practice with each words HHDL utter. i am glad that people like you still exist. god bless you.
woezey
I really appreciate your words of wisdom, Michael. It is a great gift to contemplate this way of returning thanks. And so true to the fundamental teachings of His Holiness/Buddha. Thank you!
Wow guys....................going well...........I will come up with pertinent questions for the discussion once I am done with my exams.
I do believe his Holiness presence is very well respected in more regions than we can see . In the near future more people will start to follow him as his loving kindness .I'm learning more each day and having a clearer picture of how I can educate fellow onlookers this website is extremely helpful........ Thank you Patricia
I got a quote of the day from the list and have a question. I was surprised to see a condition put on the act of compassion. The quote was as follows:
"I would like to explain the meaning of compassion which is often misunderstood. Genuine compassion is based not on our own projections and expectations, but rather on the rights of the other: irrespective of whether another person is a close friend or an enemy, as long as that person wishes for peace and happiness and wishes to overcome suffering, then on that basis we develop a genuine concern for his or her problems. This is genuine compassion. Usually when we are concerned about a close friend, we call this compassion. This is not compassion; it is attachment. Even in marriage, those marriages that last only a short time, do so because of attachment - although it is generally present - but because there is also compassion. Marriages that last only a short time do so because of a lack of compassion; there is only emotional attachment based on projection and expectation. When the only bond between close friends is attachment, then even a minor issue may cause one´s projections to change. As soon as our projections change, the attachment disappears, because that attachment was based solely on projection and expectation. It is possible to have compassion without attachement, and similarly, to have anger without hatred. Therefore we need to clarify the distinctions between compassion and attachment, and between anger and hatred. Such clarity is useful in our daily life and in our efforts toward world peace. I consider these to be basic spiritual values for the happness of all human beings, regardless of whether one is a believer or a nonbeliever." - His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I have some karmic thread going with certain individuals who could be called "psychopathic" who most certainly are wishing for destruction and an increase in suffering (at least the suffering of others, and perhaps in order to get that, will accept suffering of their own). It is quite struggle, as his holiness says, in separating compassion from attachment or entanglement and anger from hatred.

My question is, should I simply ignore such indiciduals, who do not wish for happiness, and not to try to open up to the movement of compassion? (which is quite difficult anyway...)
His Holiness is always such a wonderful inspiration to us all. Certainly whenever I have any challenges in my life I think of Him and all that He copes with, and the manner in which He faces the world, always with that reassuring smile and laugh. Other problems seem to simply disappear!
I have only had the good fortune to see Him once in Bodh Gaya, and then only at a distance, but I still felt so good to see Him. I hope to visit Dharamsala soon, just to be near Him. Ever my inspiration in life.
Whenever I hear someone saying bad things or complaining about another person I try to drive him or her to feel what it would be to be if he or she was at that person's place. Almost always it works out! The same thing is when we say thanks to someone else. How do you feel when you do something and someone comes and say "Thank you"? Thank you so very much Lama-la just for existing! And forgive my bad English. I'm from Brasil!
No doubt about the fact that His Holiness 's activities and efforts are bringing much changes and progress for His Community : all the Children coming from Tibet to receive a Buddhist and Tibetan Education and be under His blessings and protections ! thousands of Westerners who , through his actions , visits to the West , Teachings , are learning to be better Human Beings , training their mind to become more conscient of their acts , less selfish , and also meeting all the leaders of the World , scientists , people defending Human Rights and Peace and all their many causes : I met His Holiness for the Ist time in 79 ! and i am amazed to see Him still teaching , traveling , and benefiting people every day of his life ! May His Holiness live long , and may his wishes be fulfilled ! May we campaign also tirelessly for all the prisonners in the World ....and those who're living in hell like jails in the " land of the free " the country that is a symbol of Freedom to the rest of the World ! the Greatest Western Democracy that still has DEATH PENALY ! THOUSANDS of WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS : 250 EXONARATIONS SINCE DNA PROVED INMATES 'S INNOCENCE : some where ON DEATH ROW FOR YEARS ! SOME HAVE BEEN EXECUTED , though INNOCENT ! JUVENILES GETTING LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE ! MAY WE ALL CAMPAIGN FOR A MORE HUMAN SOCIETY !

Reply to Discussion

RSS

. . .

. . .

DOWNLOAD HERE

Our first Book is ready to read online and to download:

a Prayer Book

The second ebook; The Dalai Lamas

You can also go directly

Events

© 2017   Created by The LLHHDL Team.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service